Misterioso: A Crime Novel Review

Misterioso: A Crime Novel
Average Reviews:

(More customer reviews)
Are you looking to buy Misterioso: A Crime Novel? Here is the right place to find the great deals. we can offer discounts of up to 90% on Misterioso: A Crime Novel. Check out the link below:

>> Click Here to See Compare Prices and Get the Best Offers

Misterioso: A Crime Novel ReviewThe first couple of pages of this book had me wondering what I had gotten into. It just seemed a bit jerky and clunky. Luckily, I persevered with the book and somewhere around page 40ish the book became difficult to put down.
While the story is similar to countless other serial killer novels it is the writing that makes this book rise above the rest. Unlike so many detective novels dealing with serial killers, this book doesn't focus on endless, gruesome details of torture and gore. The killer's exploits aren't recounted in nauseating and tedious detail. The author instead focuses on character development and describing the background that shaped the world-view of the serial killer.
The story takes place in 1990s Sweden in an atmosphere of racial tension and national self-loathing over the greedy banking fiasco of the 1980s (a period of self-introspection our own nation seems to have skipped) Dahl's protagonist, Paul Hjelm, is simultaneously undergoing his own period of self-introspection as career and family issues collide to make him question himself-- to make him look into himself and confront "the abyss."
I won't bother to describe the entire story in this review, what I would like to say is that Dahl's Hjelm is a lot of fun to read. He reminds me a bit of Martin Cruz-Smith's Arkady Renko, but without that character's martyr complex and self-destructive streak. Hjelm is human without being boring and cool without being a cartoon character.
I think the best part of this book is the complex view it gave me of Sweden, a country I know practically nothing about. Until reading this book I only though of blond, beautiful, happy Swedes, helping each other and being good citizens (okay, a I knew about a bit of angst a la Bergman, of course).
I whole-heartedly recommend this book to readers who eschew the Patricia Cornwall and James Patterson formulas and enjoy something edgier, along the lines of Ken Bruen, Peter Hoeg, and Cruz-Smith.Misterioso: A Crime Novel Overview

Want to learn more information about Misterioso: A Crime Novel?

>> Click Here to See All Customer Reviews & Ratings Now

0 comments:

Post a Comment